Thursday, May 28, 2009

Days 1 & 2 - The Beginnings

So, this is what unemployment feels like...

I thought it was suppose to feel bad.

I do have some fear about supporting my family and moving forward with prepping for college for the kids, property taxes, and any number of other things. However, given that I have worked non-stop for almost 20 years, a break has been a good thing for my brain...almost like a system reboot. A lot of creativity has crept back into the mix and I am feeling more like a me of 15 years ago when I had a lot more adventure in me.

Days 1 & 2 of unemployment felt like all the days of the transition period...Job Hunting in the morning and then kids and errands in the afternoon. I currently have about a dozen apps out still active, most with the governmental bodies since that is where Obama is putting a lot of money these days. Since I live in a heavy governmental run area (USNavy is #1 employer in my county), I think it may have better traction that trying to find work in the private sector. The jobs here based in Corporate America are not high paying for my current skill set nor are those positions being hired for at this time.

With that in mind, I have also been working on adding to the skill set. Over the last couple of months, I have been working on getting certified in network security and learning basic HTML. As you can see, I have also started blogging a bit more regularly. So, the pattern I have established will be the norm until something changes...callbacks, interviews, etc. Gotta keep busy and look forward as there is light ahead (and no, it isn't the 5:32 running a bit behind either).

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're taking it so positive. Cheers to your attitude. Love it!

    ReplyDelete