Thursday, May 28, 2009

Joy of Unemploy

So, yesterday was my first day of being unemployed ever. I don't count the readjustment period when I came back from teaching overseas even though I was technically then too. This was a downsized moment.

Now, first off I want to say that this will not be a ranting against the establishment or venting spleen to anyone and everyone about how hard it is out there. I want this to be a look at what possibilities emerge when your world/life patterns are changed dramatically.

To that end, here's the opening situation: Company says your position is going away, gives you a bunch of resources to help you and a healthy severance (under non-disclosure on particulars so don't ask). This is my scenario and I am honestly very happy with what was offered...not just with the money, but with the opportunity to start fresh.

You might be saying to yourself, "Dude, the market/economy blows chow right now...How can you be happy without a job?" You might say that if you went to my alma mater in Santa Cruz, most likely your version would be a bit more articulate. But even though I have a family to feed and care for, the time that has been given to me as I transitioned out of work has been an eye opener for me. Let me explain...

I have been in the job market for 20 years, mostly in Service/Support and Sales roles. I have management experience, run teams both in front of me and remotely (yes, this is a shameless plug, so if you are interested in the specifics, contact me) across a fairly wide spectrum of business models. That said, I have come to realize that it has not been passionate work. I commit to my work, but haven't been passionate about it in a while. This has led to a number of problems for me personally including more illness, short bouts of depression, and anxiety to name a few. My goal now is to support my family doing something that excites me.

What I will attempt to do here, is chronicle the time that I have in between now and the next big thing. Thoughts, tips, and hopes for anyone interested enough to read them. Comments, civil and spamless ones anyway, will always be welcome. So, strap in and get ready for what promises to be an interesting ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment